Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tearing Up

Christine says I tear up too easily at TV shows and movies. You be the judge. I tear(ed) up when:

  • James T. Kirk is stealing the Enterprise to save Spock in Star Trek III and James B. Sikking tells him: "If you proceed with this you'll never sit in a captain's chair again," to which Kirk, without hesitation, responds: "Warp speed, Mr. Sulu." If you're a TOS fan, you know what I'm talking about. Captaining a starship is everything to Kirk but he says f*** it to save his friend.
  • Jody in Family Affair works tirelessly to save Mr. Osaki's ill bonsai tree because he believes its health will determine whether or not Mr. Osaki survives his journey back to Japan to see his family a final time. Jody pulls the tree through though all hope seemed lost and finally gets a letter with a photograph of Mr. Osaki back home.
  • The allied POW team chooses not to stage their planned escape during the soccer game halftime in Victory with Sylvester Stallone, Pele and Michael Caine. Instead they decide to play the Nazi team to the game's fruition in occupied France. They win with some play that includes magnificent moves by some of the world's best soccer players in small roles. The Paris crowd is so thrilled that they rally, shouting "Victorie, victorie, victorie," and tear down the stadium walls, thus facilitating escape for the heroes anyway. (I guess I should have said spoiler warning if you havn't managed to catch that film on cable sometime in the past 25 years.)
  • The moment I realized in Brother Bear that the mother little Koda is looking forward to seeing again is the same bear Kenai killed. Christine says even Monty the Cat who was at my side as I watched that was teary eyed, though he claimed: "No, no there's just something in my eye."
  • When Bernard and Rose were reunited in Lost. Christine teared up at that one too.
Those are just a few, but I guess they're illustrative.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I seem to go through periods when I'm more emotionally responsive to TV shows and movies. I've done the tearing up thing, but right now I'm in a quiescent period.

I did tear up a bit when the Colts won last year's superbowl, and when the Arkansas Razorbacks beat LSU last season.

Lana Gramlich said...

I'm terribly sentimental like this. Jenny's death in Forrest Gump destroyed me for at least an hour. I can't even survive some of the recent abandoned pet commercials on TV w/o crying. I'm a total sap.

Miladysa said...

I understood the Captain Kirk and Victory tear ups :]

The only reason I didn't relate with the others was because I have never seen them.

Christopher Mills said...

I'm finding in recent years that I'm tearing up more and more wtaching movies and TV shows.

In one respect, it's a good sign – it means that I haven't gotten so cynical and jaded that I can no longer get emotionally involved in the stories being told, unlike (it seems) so many other people these days.

On the other hand, it's plain embarrassing.

Leon said...

Tearing up? Let's see, what was the last movie I saw where I didn't tear up? Hmmm!! For me, it's just a fact of life. :~)

Sidney said...

I do tear up probably easier than I once did, Chris. Not quite sure when I turned the corner but possibly it's because you understand the world a little better over time. Things that didn't matter as much when I was a kid, I understand now.

RK Sterling said...

Hmm... this post and its replies got me thinking. And this reply may not make me popular, but what the heck... :)

I read that as men age, their testosterone levels drop and their estrogen levels raise, and they often become more sentimental. Could this be behind it? I noticed a few comments that said "in recent years" though, Sid, you also make a good point about understanding more about life over time.

As for the cat comment - LOL. :)

Sidney said...

So THAT's what it is, Kate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...