Thursday, September 06, 2007

Life Imitates Emily

A woman lived with her mummified aunt for a year, according to a Reuters report.

It's almost like the tale of Miss Emily Grierson, though William Faulkner's "A Rose For Emily" is pure Southern Gothic and the real-life version is set in Vienna.

According to Reuters the modern case may involve financial coverups. I don't know that Miss Emily was motivated by benefits payments or anything so crass.

Is there a lesson in this?

Well, I guess it's - if you decide to rip from the headlines, make sure you're not ripping off someone who anticipated human behavior ahead of itself.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

These kinds of stories appear ever so often. Some folks have a large capacity for living with the dead it seems. When I was very young in Arkansas there was a custom called "sitting up with the dead" where two people would spend the night awake in the room with a newly dead person. I was too young to take part in this, and am relatively grateful for that.

Sidney said...

I've heard of that, but it wasn't practiced in my family when I was a child, though no immediate realatives died when I was really small.

puertas metalicas en valencia said...

This won't really have effect, I think so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...